Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Teacher Rant...

I've been checking out some of the blogs Sharon has connected to her site. And while I enjoy most of them, (well, really all of them) there's something that I don't enjoy. And that is a critical spirit towards my profession. That is, my profession for now. I don't plan on doing this forever; that was never part of the plan. I believe with all my heart that a woman's place is at home. But when faced with reality, we do what we must until dreams can be lived.

One reason I even became a teacher was for the purpose of educating my own children. I have no qualms with the fact parents wish to educate their own; I myself will do that one day. And I will do it with all my heart. However, even when I am no longer in the classroom, I hope I never slight the job--or the battlefront--I've had. It bugs me to hear homeschooling parents belittle the public education system. Or rather, not the system itself--everyone knows that's corrupt and twisted (NCLB and AYP are perfect examples). But belittling teachers for the work they do gets under my skin. The people who put in 70 and 80-hour work weeks in order to educate the students under their care deserve credit. And what these wonderful, homeschooling parents don't realize is this: while they have a choice on whom they educate, we don't. We educate them all, problems and all. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

One great commentary on this subject is this article.

For those of you not involved in the public education system, this may sound wierd. I know the feeling--I've been there. I never started out to be a public school teacher, but now that I'm here, I'm doing my best. And I'm doing my best to let my students see Christ through me. That, ultimately, is my prayer--"Lord, may my students see Christ today."

God Bless you.

Posted via web from marielenora's posterous

No comments: