Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Where I'm From

Based on the children's book Mama, Where Are You From?


I'm from a knee-high grass field full of weeds and wildflowers. Chasing my brother and sisters through the harsh grass; chasing fireflies while the sun sets.


I'm from the sewing machine which made patched doll clothes, and where I made my first dress. From pricked fingers and ripped-out seams.


I'm from bluegrass and gospel played in the car on a country road. I'm from Bach and Mahler and Copeland--shaking the house with the blare of symphonies and string quartets and sonatas.


I'm from the land of bumps and bruises, scrapes, cuts and gashes, thanks to good ole' clumsiness.


I'm from the family who thinks the right word--no matter how big--is important. I'm also from a book which manages to state everything important in life in the small words of the common man.


I'm from grace--both in my teaching and in my life--because I would not be teaching still if it were not for the Grace of God.


I'm from a hot kitchen, stirring, simmering and baking my way to sanity after a long day.


I'm from frustration to giving up--in the good way. Realizing that I cannot do it on my own--I must rely on the Holy Spirit in order to get me through. Realizing the control I so carefully construct is nothing; the creator of Heavens and Earth is the real guiding force.


I'm from God, who before the foundation of the world called my name. I know because I hear His voice calling me now.


1 comment:

Bro Trevor said...

Love it! Really good.